The fifth interview in the series revival takes place with owner and operator of Charley’s Ocean Grill, Long Branch and Blue Swan Diner, Oakhurst, New Jersey, Mario Magriplis.
ALLENHURST, NJ (PRWEB) June 01, 2021
Memorial Day weekend was a very different experience last year for Jersey Shore restaurateurs who generally expected a packed crowd for the unofficial start of summer. With capacity limits and strict restrictions on indoor and outdoor dining since government-imposed closures last March, bars and restaurants typically the busiest time of year were deserted. But when New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy announced restaurant dining restrictions would be lifted on Friday, May 28 – just in time for the start of Memorial Day weekend – restaurateurs hoped for a better turnaround in this situation. holiday season.
After the closings, Richard Santore, vice president of Bielat Santore & Company, interviewed the owner and operator of Charley’s Ocean Grill, Long Branch and Blue Swan Diner, Oakhurst, New Jersey, Mario Magriplis for the “Restaurant Rap” series to verify how his businesses lasted during the shutdowns. In the new revival series, âHow Ya Doin?â, Magriplis has been providing updates over a year since the shutdowns.
âWe are still in the game! Magriplis said referring to the exhausting year that the global pandemic has inflicted on his businesses. “It was our first goal that we achieved.” In the interview, conducted before the governor’s announcement to lift statewide restrictions, Magriplis was convinced that changes were “on the horizon.” âI see more and more people coming out; things are improving so we’re definitely a little more confident and positive,â Magriplis said. “I think we are in a better position than a year ago.” Twelve months ago, New Jersey restaurants could only operate at 25% of capacity, with take out and curbside delivery being their primary service option. Restaurants also had to disinfect themselves frequently, keep a distance of six feet between tables and require all employees and customers to wear masks. To ensure the safety of customers and staff, Magriplis went further in its two companies by regularly organizing fumigation surfaces, installing HEPA filters, as well as UV lights to purify the air. âWe weren’t asked, but we didn’t feel comfortable moving forward if the clients and our staff didn’t feel comfortable in our establishment,â Magriplis explained. And although these restrictions are repealed, Magriplis still intends to maintain some of the same precautions by recognizing the safety of its customers and staff as its top priority. “We are fortunate to have good clients who support us, whatever our decisions or policies, and that is what is important. This is what makes a village,” said Magriplis.
With two restaurants to go, Magriplis applied for several loans to ease the financial burden – including the Restaurant Revitalization Fund, which had already depleted its funds by the time he applied. “We are still in the process of determining that. The profitability is not there,” said Magriplis. “We’re just looking to continue. It’s really necessary.” But Magriplis admits his biggest upheaval at the start of the pandemic was maintaining jobs and the safety of its staff, which remains its main concern today. âMy biggest challenge now is finding new employees,â said Magriplis. Staff shortages have been the struggle that echoed throughout the restaurant industry since restaurateurs welcomed customers into their dining rooms; however, Magriplis does not agree with the claims of others that unemployment is to blame. âIt really saddens me to hear that other operators and owners blame unemployment. It’s a combination of things,â Magriplis said. Although he believes the constant stream of unemployment has been attributed to the difficulty in finding staff, he believes those who think people don’t want to work are “missing out on the basics.” âMaybe we’re reaching a point where service is a luxury. To have a menu with 40 different options, maybe that’s a luxury,â Magriplis said. “It’s not just about money anymore. It’s about finding a nice place to work, getting along with people, getting along with your coworkers, getting along with your customers and having a quality of life that matches your lifestyle, your mentality and your state of mind. ”
Despite the difficulties the restaurant industry has faced over the past year, Magriplis is grateful for the experience. “[The pandemic] Made me stronger, more resilient, more patient, âsaid Magriplis. For my businesses, this has helped us build a good foundation for our teams in both locations. I am confident in our future.
To view the full video interview, visit the Bielat Santore & Company website at http://www.123bsc.com and stay tuned for the next âHow Ya Doin?â Video. series.
About Bielat Santore & Company
Bielat Santore & Company is an established commercial real estate company. The company’s expertise lies primarily in the restaurant and hospitality industry, specializing in the sale of restaurants and other real estate activities related to food and beverage. Since 1978, Bielat Santore & Company executives Barry Bielat and Richard Santore have sold more restaurants and similar type properties in New Jersey than any other real estate company. In addition, the firm obtained financing of more than $ 500,000,000 to facilitate these transactions. Visit the company’s website, http://www.123bsc.com for the latest new listings, property searches, available land, market data, funding trends, RSS feeds, press releases and more.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: https://www.prweb.com/releases/bielat_santore_company_releases_the_fifth_interview_of_restaurant_rap_how_ya_doin_revival_series/prweb17977629.htm